CIT COLLEGE ENTRANCE ASSESSMENT
1. Add together: 320.05, 41.85, 17.03, 100.02
2. Calculate the average of these values: 32, 48, 60, 74
3. Joan answered all 50 questions on a multiple choice test. If she scored 78% on the test, how many questions did she get wrong?
4. Anna went to the mall to buy new clothes. She bought a pair of jeans for $40.50, a blouse for $28.90 and a scarf for $18.45. GST in the amount of 5% was added to her bill. How much tax was added to Anna’s purchase?
5. Debra has a job with home care. On Monday, she worked the following hours:
Client A: 1 hour of care
Client B: 0.5 hours of care
Client C: 3.5 hours of care
Debra is also paid for 15 minutes of travel to the next client. How many hours did she get paid for?
6. Calculate: 3.5 + 7 + 3 - 5 = _______
7. The temperature at 8:00am was -6C. By noon, the temperature had risen by 13C. What was the temperature at noon?
8. When 2.49 is multiplied by 0.17, the result (rounded to 3 decimal places) is:
9. If 5 litres of paint cover 20 square meters, how many litres are required to cover 200 square meters ?
10. How many hours are in 660 minutes?
Read the following paragraphs and circle the correct answers to the questions.
Stress can be the cause of many of your health-related problems and you may not even be aware. Stress can cause the body and mind to react in ways that normally they would not. Even the headache that you have on occasion may be coming from stress. Perhaps you are having trouble remembering or you feel that your body and mind are just not delivering productively. Stress might be to blame. Putting a stamp on stress early into the game can help you find ways to manage it before it gets out of hand.
Never assume that stress is the cause of your headache or forgetfulness, as these may be signs of other more serious diseases or illnesses. Seeing your physician can help you diagnose the problem and a health care professional should always be consulted when in doubt. Stress can mimic heart attack symptoms, but you should never assume automatically that stress is the cause of the signs or symptoms if you ever experience them. Seeking medical or professional help is always the right thing to do.
Stress, if left unattended for very long, can cause long-standing health issues and can even cut your lifespan considerably. Steps have to be taken to increase the longevity of your life. Stress not only wreaks havoc on the individual who has it, it often rubs off on family members and close friends as well. If family and friends see that you are having a hard time with stress and related stressful issues, they may begin to experience it as well.
There are many types of stress busters, and finding one that can help reduce or eliminate your stress is desirable. Things like yoga, meditation, relaxation activities and exercise are great for relieving stress. Finding an enjoyable hobby may be the perfect remedy for eradicating stress. If you have trouble finding something that will relieve your stress, talking to someone you trust can often help in locating the perfect activity to knock out stress. There may be times when a medication may be issued to help alleviate stress, and you and your doctor can determine the one that is right for you. Sometimes stress can be relieved by simply talking to someone you trust and you will find that you feel better just by getting things off your mind.
11. Which of the following describe the purpose of last paragraph of this article?
12. “Mimic” means
13. “Eradicate” means
14. Stress is an important topic because:
15. Which of the following is a stress-related issue not mentioned in this article?
16. “If you have trouble finding something that will relieve your stress, talking to someone you trust can often help in locating the perfect activity to knock out stress.” Another way of writing this sentence could be:
17. A “stress buster” is:
18. Stress is the opposite of:
Part 3: Logic
19. All kids like eating ice cream.
Ice Cream has milk in it.
Therefore, all kids like drinking milk.
20. Where there is poverty there is crime.
There is poverty in Calgary.
Therefore, there is crime in Calgary.
21. According to Statistics Canada, historically August is the hottest month of the year.
Last year, August was not the hottest month of the year.
Therefore, Statistics Canada is wrong.
22. Today Bobby is 12 years old. His sister is twice as old. When Bobby is 20 years old, how old will his sister be?
23. Which word does not belong in this group?
24. If you started driving North toward your friend’s house, then took a 90-degree turn to the right, then did a U-turn, and then turned left, what direction are you facing?
25. What is the next number in the sequence? 25, 24, 22, 19, ____
26. What is the smallest number in this sequence? 10, 2, .8, .888, .96